I didn’t want it to come to this! After many attempts to get the printer to go forward on its own accord (many resulting in ruining the control board and having to buy a new printer) i have brought out the secret weapon – ARDUINO. I also bought a heavily geared down DC motor from Tamiya. These factors combined result in some serious direct to everything progress!
The video shows the printer stepping forwards at a pace set by the Resistance registered by a potentiometer. Later on the potentiometer will be very important in tweaking the printer so it outputs correctly. The DC motor has more than enough power to move the printer.
The black and red wires go directly to the dc motor. The power is switched using a simple transistor.
Recently I have been working on making a standard ink-jet printer free from the usual constraints of desktop printing. Looking at examples of direct to garment (DTG) printing and some of the ink-jet to 3d printer hacks out there i began tearing to pieces my desktop printer. The plan was to make the print heads as close to the bottom of the printer as i could. I also wanted to have the printer placed on wheels with the paper feed pushing the printer forwards. The result so far looks like this:
Although it looks the part so far it less than fulfills the part. I think in the build process i may have damaged the control board or something which is causing the results to be fairly unpredictable. I have been stressing and struggling with this thing for ages and have got any further. I was just about to abort the project when i started to look back over everything i had done one last time. What i realised was that although what i had first envisioned had not been realised some of the results were pretty damned nice.
Recently i have been experimenting with hacking old printers and in my research i came accross this:
Phosphorescence according to wikipedia allow absorbed radiation to be re-emitted at a lower intensity for up to several hours. It was built from a miniPov and adapted to radiate a phosphorescence panel. The overall effect is pretty creepy and would make for an awesome horror style B movie end credits.
original source: Makezine