Loving this build by Dennis P Paul, an instrument that uses the profile of everyday objects to trigger loops.
Epic shapeshifting pixel wall designed by J o n p a s a n g media group consisting of:
Just started reading (bits of)
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
I thought this quote from the dedication section was beautiful:
“I think that it’s extraordinarily important that we in computer sci- ence keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful lot of fun. Of course, the paying customers got shafted every now and then, and after a while we began to take their complaints se- riously. We began to feel as if we really were responsible for the successful, error-free perfect use of these machines. I don’t think we are. I think we’re responsible for stretching them, setting them off in new directions and keeping fun in the house. I hope the field of computer science never loses its sense of fun. Above all, I hope we don’t become missionaries. Don’t feel as if you’re Bible sales- men. The world has too many of those already. What you know about computing other people will learn. Don’t feel as if the key to successful computing is only in your hands. What’s in your hands, I think and hope, is intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you were first led up to it, that you can make it more.”
—Alan J. Perlis (April 1, 1922 – February 7, 1990)
You can find the book to download here
Are we the virtual livestock?
An excellent project that feeds real time traffic data to the retro arcade game Frogger. I really enjoyed the mode of promo video as well.
Project created by Tyler DeAngelo
The video below is documentation for a live video compositor project developed in collaboration with James Moore. I was the sole As3 programmer on this project. The AIR app takes advantage of FFMPEG to allow videos uploaded to the system to be broken down into frames and also to render out (render out is still in development). FFMPEG was accessed via the native process functionality of the air runtime environment. The overall installation was setup using a matrox Tripple head running 3 projectors. The project is a lot bigger than it looks in the video.
I really enjoyed the collaboration with James. It was nice to take a back seat in the decision making and just concentrate on how the application would be coded.
The left projection functions as a media viewer allowing the user to browse through files in the assets folder. The center screen allows the user to edit the content before it is played back. The edit choices are stylised and restrictive to fit in with the overall aesthetic of the system which is based around a minimalist grid. The right side projection shows a playback of the video being edited with the changes appearing in real time.
A beautiful way of getting your music out into the community.
I have almost finished the rebuild of my Quadrocopter so I thought I would post it up here. All I am waiting for now is the motor mounts. I am very pleased with build as it will be a lot more maintainable than the original injected moulded plastic one as the carbon fibre rod is very replaceable. Its a bit of a dark photo but I like how stealthy and menacing it looks. I am very much considering ordering the Ardupilot and accessories for some added Arduino goodness.
Android 1 – iPhone 0 (eventually sorted though)
I have used PhoneGap before without the aid of Dreamweaver and although it works well the setup process is a little complex and I never really got it working for IPhone on my Mac. A lot of students have been asking for training sessions for writing apps so I thought that the CS5.5 / PhoneGap integration might streamline the whole process. As with most things Adobe do the workflow is very simple and when using the jQuery mobile template and exporting out to Android everything worked really well. The problems came when I started trying to export for the IPhone (Surprise surprise). The main issue was that once I pointed the setting to the the developer folder at the root of my hard drive and clicked build and emulate I got an error:
The build of application failed to complete successfully
After hunting round in the settings for a while I decided to hit up Google. I found the solution in the Adobe forums, here is the link:
I was unsure if I was supposed to change the camera.h file @
/Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.5/Configuration/NativeAppFramework/DWPhoneGap
So I changed them both for good measure and everything now works fine.
Something new for Cornwall!
A hacker space for anyone, based at the Tremough Campus University College Falmouth.
If your interested in joining us here is a link to the site: